The summer is heating up with some amazing professional development events for educators in August. It's not too late to participate!
August 1, 2017
EdmodoCon is a free, live online global event where educators from around the world connect with each other to share how they’re using Edmodo and other digital tools to personalize learning. The educational professional development event of the year, EdmodoCon will help you collaborate with other teachers, discover valuable new resources, and harness the power of edtech in your classroom. Highlights include:
Worldwide Education With a belief that educators will forever be the heroes of the classroom, Anthony Salcito presents a passionate, open, knowledgeable and playful look at how together we can create a better future through education and through the inspiration of educators, students, education thought leaders and school leaders from around the world.
Redefining the Classroom with Collaborative Technologies and Partners Using Edmodo as the primary delivery method for his classes and the SAMR framework as the backbone of his pedagogy, Simon has revolutionized his teaching practice. He share his success story of how the SAMR model, through Edmodo, has allowed him to make the most of several partnerships.
2017 Rock Star Camp episodes will be based on the Hero's Journey model of lesson design: The Hero's Jouney Lesson Design Model is a mixup of the constructivist-centric
5E's Lesson Design model and Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey concept - focusing on learning as an ADVENTURE instead of a series of worksheets or canned activities. Deep in 4Cs and SAMR potential, the Hero's Journey is at once simple and sophisticated. The Hero's Journey lesson design model is both technical and visceral. Participate in collaborative conversations and attend hands-on learning sessions presented by other educators, like:
Power-up with Photos for Communication and Learning Use pictures to engage and expand on student learning and communication. Experience how tools including Google Photos, Spark Posts, and Google Slides can be used to create professional-looking imagery.
We will learn how to streamline from the point you snap the photo, to editing the image, and finally sharing with others. You will leave the session well equipped to share your classroom with your school community and classroom parents, create visuals for student lessons, and teach students to communicate through visuals.
ClEvR Arguments Using Adobe Spark Use pictures to engage and expand on student learning and communication. Experience how tools including Google Photos, Spark Posts, and Google Slides can be used to create professional-looking imagery. We will learn how to streamline from the point you snap the photo, to editing the image, and finally sharing with others. You will leave the session well equipped to share your classroom with your school community and classroom parents, create visuals for student lessons, and teach students to communicate through visuals.
August 3-4, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Design and Maker Class Colloquium 2017
This two-day professional development event, which is held at the Windward School in West Los Angeles, is designed for all teachers, administrators, and informal educators - including all disciplines, levels of experience, and learning environments from informal to classroom. Participants will get hands-on training and experience with design techniques, traditional tools and materials of making from experts in the area, and hear from cutting-edge practitioners about what is possible in the world of Design and Making in both general and specific ways.
- See firsthand what the “Making” craze is all about and grow in both making skills and knowledge
- Gain hands-on experience and practical knowledge about how to apply design techniques and technologies in your classroom or makerspace (3D printers, Laser Cutters, wearable tech, Arduinos, electronics, etc.)
- Delve into Design Thinking: learn about its impact on the student experience and how to facilitate it Make connections and network with like-minded educators interested in the design and maker movement
- Learn about how to create or grow a makerspace
August 12, 2017
Chula Vista, CA
Edcamp Chula Vista
EdCamp Chula Vista is open to anyone who would like to come and discuss educational topics focused on 21st Century Learning! Teachers, educational leaders, board members, district staff, administrators - all are welcome!
What is it?
- Best of all - it's FREE!
- Differentiated professional developmentFOR teachers, BY teachers
Who's in Charge?
- Completely driven by participants
- Structured to engage educators in areas which they which they wish to gain and contribute knowledge
What is a typical day?
- Sit, chat, and jot down your name and topics in which you'd like to discuss with others on your sticky notes
- "Stick up" your ideas on the "Idea Board"
- An organizer will be creating sessions based on the ideas posted on the "Idea Board"
- Organizers will tell you when sessions are posted - then we are ready to rock and roll!
What is a typical session like?
- Sessions are discussions based - no official "speakers" standing in front of the room; however there will be a facilitator in each session
- A facilitator is not a presenter!
- The facilitator will only lead the introductionsand facilitate the discussion
August 19, 2017
San Jose, CA
Design Challenge Learning and 21st Century Skills
Get introduced to the engineering design process and find out how to facilitate these lessons in ways that emphasize 21st century skills — collaboration and teamwork, creativity and imagination, critical thinking and problem solving concrete for the students. Online follow-up session to be scheduled for October 2017.
August 24, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Back to School: What is the Purpose of Public Education?
Join Nikole Hannah-Jones, New York Times Magazine journalist, and Kristina Rizga, Mother Jones reporter and author ofMission High,as they reflect on their extensive reporting in schools—as well as their personal experiences. As they look ahead to the future of schools in America, Hannah-Jones and Rizga will highlight the key, largely invisible forces that are slowly eroding the promise of public education and the intentions and money that drive some of these promises.
August 26, 2017
EdCamp Chino, hosted by Chino EdTech, is an "unconference"! Join us for a morning of collaborative conversation about what is new, creative, useful, or just plain cool in educational technology for grades Kinder through twelve.
Share among colleagues from Chino Valley and surrounding districts. Bring your ideas and be inspired by the ideas of others.
- Share a favorite web tool or app
- Discuss a strategy for using ed tech in your classroom
- Inspire others with a success story
- Present a challenge and brainstorm solutions
Site: flickr.com [Image 1]